Friday, May 5, 2017

LEGO Minifigures Series 17


I was strolling around the toy aisle in Wal-Mart when I came across the latest LEGO Minifigures Series 17 blind bags. A fresh case was sitting around LEGO section, so I basically had first dibs at this new series. At first glace of the case artwork, I had my heart set on the corn on the cob guy and rocket boy. Figuring out which bags contained the two figures wasn't that challenging. Basically had to feel for the bubbly corn surface and rocket-shaped suit.


The rocket boy is such a delight with a classic space top and hand drawn flag. It's a nostalgic figure that probably makes any collector's top 5 figure lists when it comes to this series. I'm a fan of the red/grey paired up for rockey bot. Essentially everything about this figure screams classic space.


Corn on the con guy is just like hot dog guy and banana guy. This must-have minfigure sports a gnarly mustache to complement an epic corn suit. Something about these food-related outfits make LEGO minifigures extra fun to collect.

There is a mystery figure that has been dubbed highway man. I wouldn't mind adding to the minifigure collection since it looks cool to me. Not sure how rare this mystery figure is, or why it's even advertised as a mystery. Judging by secondary market prices for highway man, it isn't fetching that much over retail price.

Blind bags are $3.99, so it looks like LEGO is maintaining the same pricing following The LEGO Batman Movie minifigure series. It's unfortunate these aren't priced at $2.99 anymore. There isn't anything particularly premium about a non-franchise minifigure series. The cost, in theory, should probably cost less since there isn't licensing fees involved. However, a slightly more expensive price per bag means I get to be extra selective on which figures to collect. I'm probably saving a bit more money by resisting any thought of completing the series as well.